Invisalign - my first week!


So I FINALLY have my braces!! I’ve wanted them for so so long and I’m so glad I finally have them on. I’m only on my first aligner but I thought I should write about my experience so far before it all becomes a distant memory!

My consultation was early Jan and I got them on a week ago so it’s been a lengthy journey, I thought it was just my dentist but reading through other Invisalign blog posts (my new obsession) I think it’s common for it to take a while to actually start. During the first consultation they will have a look at your teeth and check whether or not you’d be suitable. In my case luckily I was but they did say I would get a more ‘perfect’ smile if I went with traditional train track braces as they also sort out jaw issues etc. I’m not looking for perfection so I was happy to stick with Invisalign.

The next appointment was just a general check up, this is where they check whether you need any fillings/hygienist appointments before they can continue. I’ve never had a filling before and I’m a weirdo who loves the hygienist (anyone else?!) so I was given the go ahead to book my next appointment to do the scans and x-rays.

I was dreading this appointment because I thought they were going to take molds of my teeth, I had braces as a teenager and I just remember the gagging! Luckily they did it with a clever little X-ray wand instead! So I was very relieved about that. I had a few more X-rays and then you just have to wait for a couple of weeks whilst they send off the scans. They then invite you back in to discuss the treatment plan. They also show you on a video how your teeth will look at the end of the treatment and it’s just the best thing ever - it’s so satisfying! They email this to you aswell and I find myself just watching it. You can see it week by week so I keep forwarding it to different dates like the week of my birthday just to see how my teeth will look haha! Once you’re happy with the treatment plan, they will order the first few sets of trays and you can begin your treatment!

Fast forward a few weeks and my trays were ready so I went in to get them. It was just the beginning of this virus situation, it escalated so so quickly after my appt so I feel very lucky that I got in there just in time.

I had to have attachments fitted which didn’t hurt at all. I had to have my jaw open for around an hour though which did get pretty achy! My dentist has a TV on the ceiling (fancy) so I was just trying to get into the gardening programme that was on to distract myself from the jawache. I then had to have the dreaded filing, I had read all about it and I was pretty scared of having it done. Omg it is TOTALLY fine!!! It didn’t hurt atall - the only thing I didn’t like was the noise. It’s an unnerving sound of someone filing your tooth but honestly it really didn’t hurt. Then they put the trays in and it was done! Wooooo.

It felt tight but no initial pain, and I could talk as normal. This surprised me as I expected it to feel painful and for me to be all lispy. They ask you to practice taking it in and out a few times - meh not the most dignified process but they help you with the best technique to do it. I was then given a little gift bag with my aligner case, some cleaning tablets and crystals and that was it! It was a surprisingly pleasant experience.

I’m on week 1 of 21 weeks so I will keep taking progress pics but here I am at the beginning:

(Sorry such a gross photo!)


As you can see, it’s the top front teeth that I have an issue with but hopefully in 5 months time they will be beeeautiiiful.

The pain didn’t really start until the evening of the first day, they felt so tight and uncomfortable. I had some paracetamol but it was a bad night sleep wise and I instantly turned to hating them haha. I’m a week in now and there’s no pain. My mouth is definitely still getting used to them but each day is better than the last so I know I’ll get used to them soon. As we are now in lockdown, they are both a blessing and a curse. I want all the boredom snacks and cups of tea but as you can’t eat or drink (except water) with them in they are stopping all my fun. So whilst it’s annoying, it’s also keeping me healthy and I don’t think I’ve ever drank so much water haha. So yea, I’m hoping weight loss can be a little benefit to having them too!!

They are going to be a big commitment - you have to wear them 22 hours a day and you need to take them out and brush your teeth after any food/drink. But for me, I was so self conscious that I’m happy to sacrifice my snack habits for 5 months!!

If you have any questions about Invisalign let me know and also let me know your tips and tricks if you’ve already had them!xx

Comments

Popular Posts